FinFETs present a number of problems with respect to dynamic power consumption. Design techniques are being re-evaluated to deal with the issue.
Dynamic voltage and frequency scaling is effective for low-power VLSI design. Body or back bias can provide additional control over leakage and performance.
Monolithic 3DIC integration may provide a viable alternative to conventional 2D scaling for SoCs if manufacturing problems can be overcome.
Designers will have to update development processes to achieve the rigorous safety certifications required in automotive, rail, avionics and similar markets
Emulation is now served by all three leading vendors and is a hot topic for discussion among engineers. The major verification conferences need to follow suit.
Dedicated processors using convolutional neural networking techniques bring advanced vision techniques such as object recognition to embedded systems.
Article Verifying clock domain crossings when using fast-to-slow clocks
A look at three techniques to verify the validity of signals moving between clock domains
- Article Fixing late ECOs in ARM core subsystems at STMicroelectronics
- Article Enabling FPGA prototyping of large ASIC and SoC designs
Article Eight steps for efficient PCB manufacturing and assembly – Part Two
Second in a two-part series, describing critical rules that should underpin PCB manufacturing, and how new technologies overcome increasing complexity.
- Article Eight steps for efficient PCB manufacturing and assembly – Part One
- Article Layout automation and simulation support DDR4 at lower system cost
Article Developing and integrating configurable GPU IP using FPGA-based prototyping
How Imagination Technologies used FPGA-based prototyping to develop its GPU IP and integrate it into a real world system
- Article Getting the most out of IP based FPGA design with Synplify
- Article Object-based audio demands higher-performance audio processors
Article Cortex-A72: microarchitecture tweaks focus on efficiency
ARM has revealed a number of details of the microarchitecture that underpins its flagship Cortex-A72 as the processor moves towards its production release.
- Expert Insight Design reaches out from the edge
- Expert Insight Assessing technical design trade-offs during product development
View All Sponsors